HSF #3: Silk Pockets

I’ve been sewing up a storm this weekend! (And yes, pun intended, since I was stuck inside all weekend because of the blizzard ‘Nemo’… and as a side note, do you think they saw the irony in naming this storm Nemo? All I think of is a cute cartoon fish, which seems at odds with the 2 1/2 feet of snow that is still being cleaned up outside as I create this post.)

Anyway… events were cancelled, including the Regency Ball I created my 1813 dress (HSF #1) for, which is rather sad. Not being able to go anywhere means I’ve had lots of time to work on other things, though. Mostly, I’ve spent the time working on my replacement of the berry ballroom dancing dress. I was hoping to move along on my new 1864 ball gown as well, but that didn’t happen because I was so inspired to keep working on the ballroom dress (and I made lots of progress, so that’s good!). I did take some time out of my furious sewing to finish up my new silk pockets, just in time for the deadline of the Historical Sew Fortnightly’s Challenge #3: Under It All.

IMG_4203

Yay! Pockets!

For the facts:

Fabric: Silk brocade scraps left over from my 1780s stays and linen scraps left over from my 1812 regency chemise.

Pattern: From Costume Close-Up.

Year: The year in Costume Close-Up is 1740-1770, but I think these can be used for years spanning almost the entirety of the 18th century.

Notions: About 2 yds of 1/4″ persimmon colored silk ribbon and about 1 yd of 1/4″ white cotton twill tape for ties.

How historically accurate?: I give them a 95% rating. Accurate fabrics, accurate piecing, accurate pattern, no machine sewing… Thread choice is not accurate, and I’m not convinced that the stitches I used to attach my edging ribbon are accurate either. (And I probably should have tea dyed my waist tie so it wouldn’t be so bright white… but I am the only person who is likely to see it, and frankly, I just wanted to attach it and be done.)

Hours to complete: Entirely hand sewn, so about 13 hours.

First worn: They haven’t been worn yet, and probably won’t be worn for awhile… but at least now they’re done, and ready to go for next time I need them!

Total cost: $7? If I count the cost of all the bits and pieces. Since they use scraps from other projects it’s hard to tell.

IMG_4201

Back view. You can see the linen backing. The silk on the front has a second layer of linen under it.

IMG_4202

Close-up of the tiny stitches holding the ribbon down along the edges.

Advertisements

7 responses to “HSF #3: Silk Pockets

  1. I so enjoy your comments and learning more about your work. You are awesome!!! Love, Doris Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 22:56:04 +0000 To: mcewendoris@hotmail.com

  2. Those are so pretty! And I’m glad you didn’t dye the waist ties. I like my stuff to look new, or regularly worn in, not 250 years old! 😉

  3. They are both: beautiful and useful. I love to wear mine and usually have them stuffed with a whole lot of things 😉
    Sorry to hear that your Regency Ball was cancelled…such pity!

    Sabine

    • Yes, it is sad about the ball. But don’t think I don’t remember that I need to post pictures of the interior of that dress! I was going to take pictures this weekend when I got the dress out to wear. It might take me a bit longer, but they will be coming. 🙂 I am looking forward to wearing my pockets at some point…!

  4. Anna Worden Bauersmith

    I love to use pockets as well. They are such a useful accessory. This shape will provide a nice balance to the pocket, which will be comfortable to wear.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s